Helping Yourself

If you have a loved one in jail or prison, you may also need help at this time. Many of the organizations we list in are resources for you, as well.

See the Benefits section for information about departments of human services. Call or walk in for an intake interview and explain your greatest needs. It’s okay to ask for help.

See the Re-entry Help section for a list of community agencies where you might find help. There could be an agency right in your neighborhood.

If you need a job, see the Employment section for information about the Workforce Centers. Ask about work readiness training if you need it. If you need child care while you’re in training, be sure to ask if it’s available.

The Hunger Free Hotline number is 720-382-2920 in Denver and 855-855-4626 tollfree. Call for information on food banks, pantries, and food assistance throughout Colorado.

You can call Colorado Crisis Services at 844-493-8255 for information about mental health and substance abuse. They answer calls about depression, recovery, concerns about family or friends, substance abuse, grief, loss, suicidal thoughts, PTSD, drugs and alcohol, bullying, stress, anxiety, homelessness, disability, and more. They can also help you find resources, and they’ll keep your call confidential.

The Health section has information on enrolling for Medicaid and other insurance, as well as where to find health care in your community.