Food & Clothing
Medical Care
Re-entry Help

Family & Friends
Life Skills
On Paper

Resource Index

About Us
Contact Us
Support Remerg
sample sample2


Hunger Free Hotline 1-855-855-4626
For info about food pantries and free meal locations throughout Colorado, call the Hunger Free Hotline. They will also help you sign up for SNAP/food assistance. Calls are confidential and they help everyone, regardless of legal status.

Calls are answered 8 am to 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday, at 1-855-855-4626 (bilingual in English and Spanish). You can also learn more about food resources in Colorado on the Hunger Free website. Click below.

Food Assistance
You may be eligible for the Colorado Food Assistance Program if you’re unemployed or work part time or don’t make much money, receive other public assistance, are elderly or disabled and have a small income, or are homeless.

You apply for the Colorado Food Assistance Program at the department of human services in the county where you live. If you think you’re eligible, apply for food assistance right away. It can take up to a month to get started with the program.

If you’re eligible, you’ll receive monthly benefits that are issued on the Colorado Quest Card, which looks like a credit card. You can then use this card at grocery stores such as King Soopers or Safeway.

Find Out If You're Eligible
You can find out if you’re eligible using the online Colorado PEAK application below. Click on the “Am I Eligible” tab at the top of the page. Click on “Next” at the bottom of the page and continue on to answer a few questions. This should take about 15 minutes.web

Documents You Need
The Department of Human Services recommends that you gather as many of the following items as you can for everyone in your household before you apply for food assistance.

  • Birth certificate
  • Drivers license or other ID
  • Child support – court order or cancelled checks
  • Pay stubs
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Pensions
  • Letter from Social Security, Veteran’s Assistance
  • Rental agreement
  • Mortgage statement
  • Utility bills – telephone, electricity, gas, oil, water, sewer, garbage
  • Child care expenses – cancelled checks
  • Medical bills that you pay (if 60 years or older or disabled)

Where to Apply in Person
You may find it easier to apply in person. Take the documents listed above to your County Department of Human or Social Services office and ask to make an appointment for an interview.Click below to find the county department closest to you.

When you go to the office, be sure to let the interviewer know if you don’t have money or food after release. Your application may be processed more quickly.

How to Apply Online
If you're eligible to apply for food assistance, you can do it online through Colorado PEAK. web

  • Click on “Apply for benefits.”
  • Create a new account if you have not already done so.
  • Write down your account information: your username and password, your secret questions and your answers to the secret questions.
  • Fill out the application with the information you can obtain. (If you can’t complete the application either “save and exit” or “set my application date” and follow directions.)
  • Submit your application.
  • Write down your tracking number.
  • Mail or take all of the needed documents to the application office that is processing your paperwork.
  • Schedule an appointment with a case worker. If you don’t have money or food after release, be sure to say this in your interview so that you might get help faster.
copyright 2016 remerg.com